WOP: WSSA & ONEE
The MoU for this WOP between the Water and Sewerage Auhthority (WSSA) of Palestine and the Office National de l'Electricité et de l'Eau Potable (ONEE) of Morocco has been signed in November 2013 with the main objective of carrying out a diagnosis of the water supply and water quality monitoring system as well as implementing the WSP in Bethlehem, Palestine.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
November 01, 2013 - April 30, 2015
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Non Revenue Water (NRW) management
- Water quality management
• Implementation of the Water Safety Plan in Bethlehem
• Training course on WSP Start‐up & Diagnosis on Bethlehem drinking water supply system
• Capacity building in the field of control and monitoring of drinking water systems in Rabat, Morocco
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- On the job training
- Site visits
Describe WOPs activities
• 1st diagnosis visit conducted by ONEE's team during a mission to Bethlehem in January 2014
• 2nd visit with training programme in ONEE (Morocco) to upgrade the skills of the WSSA team assigned to implement the WSP in Bethlehem in Rabat (April 2th to 11th , 2014).
Describe the overall results
• Water quality is not properly secured according to: Interruption of water distribution; Pressure problems, water leaks; Life time of pipes; Lack of a reliable wastewater management system; Risk of corrosion on pH values
• Infrastructure and equipment of the laboratory are not adapted to assure control of water quality
• Procedures and methods used have to be updated
• Crucial needs for capacity building support determined
• Training on WSPs modules and ownership of the project by a multidisciplinary team
• Encouraging the coordination between the WSP team in order to further develop the documentation systems, identify hazards related to water quality etc.
• Gaps identified in relation to hazards identification and risk analysis which led to the elaboration of a priority action plan regarding the control of disinfection
• Emphasizing on analyzing the reporting model and WSSA system in order to effectively implement the WSP
• Identification of documents related to drinking water system
• Sensitization of the operators, especially technicians on site, on the WSP
Which factors had a positive influence on the success of your WOP?
- Relationship of individuals
Which factors impeded the success of your WOP?
Lack of political support