WOP: PDAM Kota Denpasar & Ranhill Utilities
The WOP focuses on improving water distribution system management (including services expansion) and helps to strengthen the capacity of PDAM Kota Denpasar to manage NRW and pressure, to enable continuous water supply and to recognize practical innovations and technologies employed by Ranhill Utilities. The WOP also explores opportunities to expand and distribute water supply to Denpasar’s marginalized communities.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
October 01, 2013 - April 30, 2015
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
- New opportunities/challenges for employees
- Solidarity principles
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Expanding services to low income households
- Non Revenue Water (NRW) management
The main objectives of this WOP are to:
• Enhance capacity of PDAM Kota Denpasar to ensure new and/or improved water supply provision (e.g. continuity)
• Transfer practical knowledge in improving water distribution including NRW reduction, pressure management, network analysis, and other pertinent focus areas
• Explore services expansion to urban poor communities in Denpasar
• Institutional change
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- Joint planning or work
- On the job training
- Site visits
Describe WOPs activities
Diagnostic visit, reciprocal visit, classroom training, on‐the‐job training, establishment of pilot project
Describe the overall results
1) Technical improvements:
• NRW reduced at DMA Pilot area in Serangan (2014)
• Pipe replacement of 2.8 kilometers enabling the connection of 300 households in Serangan
• Improved supply hours and pressure management
2) Individual capacity
• Increased knowledge of staff on NRW
• DMA establishment and management including step test, ZPT
3) Organizational changes
• Creation of NRW Department with trained staff
• Increased awareness of PDAM’s Management and staff to NRW
• Increased spirit of staff and Support from Management
4) Institutional leverage
• Collaboration among various organizations: Borouge, PERPAMSI, WaterLinks and Ranhill Utilities
• New model of working with government agencies, LGU, the private sector and NGO towards providing water to poor households.
Which factors had a positive influence on the success of your WOP?
- Appropriate partner selection
- Financing for WOPs
- Participation of external actors
- Political support
- Relationship of individuals
- Suitable partnership design
Which factors impeded the success of your WOP?