WOP: ONEA & SIAAP
The WOP between the Office national de l'eau et de l'assainissement (ONEA) of Burkina Faso and the Syndicat interdépartemental pour l'assainissement de l'agglomération parisienne (SIAAP) of France was initiated in 2009 with the main aim of strengthening the technical and organizational capacity of ONEA through training and exchange. The partnership was especially focused on improving water analysis laboratories efficiency.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
January 01, 2009 -
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
- New opportunities/challenges for employees
- Solidarity principles
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Asset management
- Water quality management
Please specify other theme(s)
• Asset management and operation of sewer systems
• Relation between industrials and ONEA
• Water treatment and environmental regulations
• Zoning definition of the 2 biggest cities of the country
• Asset management of plants dedicated to drainage of faecal sludge
• Improving water analysis laboratories efficiency
• Support laboratories to move on from certification (ISO 9001) to accreditation (ISO 17025)
• Training, joint diagnosis, field visits, co-writing of terms of reference
The objective of this WOP consists in strengthening the technical and organizational capacity of ONEA through training and exchange. The Partnership was especially focused on improving water analysis laboratories efficiency.
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- Joint planning or work
- Site visits
Describe WOPs activities
Two laboratory managers from Ouagadougou and Bobo-Dioulasso spent one week in SIAAPs central lab near Paris to work on the following workshops:
• How to organize the work into a lab to keep motivation into our staff?
• How to qualify our collaborators to specific analysis and trace it for quality purpose?
• Discovery of a computer system dedicated to a laboratory (LIMS laboratory Internal Management System)
• How to organize regulatory and normative monitoring?
• Strategy to adopt to get in a single public procurement all needs around an analytical instrument (the supply, the repair, spare parts, training, specific consumables and reactants)
• How to organize the metrology into a laboratory to manage temperature, weight and volume measurements?
• How to organize evacuation of different types of wastes produced into laboratories?
Describe the overall results
Needs Assessed, New Skills Acquired, Operational Performance Enhanced
Which factors had a positive influence on the success of your WOP?
- Appropriate partner selection
- Suitable partnership design
Which factors impeded the success of your WOP?
Not tied to ongoing processes