WOP: DWSS NEPAL & Maynilad Water Services Inc.
For outstanding achievement based on outcomes and impacts, the WaterLinks Award was given to the WOP between Nepal’s Department of Water Supply and Sewerage (DWSS) – specifically its Central Human Resource Development Unit (CHRDU) and the Lekhnath Small Town Water Supply and Users Committee (LSTWSSUC) – as recipient, and Maynilad Water Services through the Maynilad Water Academy, as mentor. The WOP resulted in the establishment of the National Water Supply and Sanitation Training Center equipped with a water laboratory and a meter test bench. Further, 10 district metered areas were established and a NRW management program was institutionalized.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Other supporting organizations
Lekhnath Small Town Water Supply and Sanitation Users Committee
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Non Revenue Water (NRW) management
- Water quality management
• Build the capacity of CHRDU‐DWSS in water loss management and water quality management
• Develop and implement a curriculum on NRW Management
• Water Quality management of small scale water systems
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- Joint planning or work
- On the job training
Describe WOPs activities
On-the-job training, classroom training, joint diagnosis, development of work plan, regular communication through Skype
Describe the overall results
1) NRW Management
• NRW measurement: From 46% (estimated) to 40%
• DMA Establishment: 10 DMA's established
• Step‐testing & walk‐the‐line activities: Use of step‐testing in DMA establishment
• Identification & installation of pressure ports: 6 pressure ports Installed
• Start documentation of reported leaks, types & status: Monthly report on the leak profile
• Inventory of customer meters: 7,000 meters profiled
• Start of small meter installation & replacement program: Metering program started
2) Capacity building
• Improved the overall capability of CHDRU as a training institution: Transformed CHRDU into a National
training center and acquired ISO 9001 Certification
• Upgrade CHRDU meter testing lab: Improved meter test bench
• Develop protocols for meter set assembly & installation: SOP prepared
• Training of Trainers Workshop: Workshop for trainers held. NRW training course produced in native language
3) Water quality
• Assessment of laboratories, facilities and personnel: Status of WQ laboratory reported and recommendation implemented
• Identification and installation of sampling points: 18 sampling points within the water supply system identified
4) Water Safety Plan (WSP)
• Introduced to Maynilad WSP
Which factors had a positive influence on the success of your WOP?
- Financing for WOPs
- Participation of external actors
- Relationship of individuals
- Suitable partnership design
Which factors impeded the success of your WOP?
Not tied to ongoing processes