WOP: eThikwini and Bulawayo City Council
June 18, 2014
The aim of this WOP is to provide readable and accessible reports in WOPs practices.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
January 05, 2010 - January 03, 2014
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Other supporting organizations
The Australian Agency fir International Development (AusAID)
Department of Trade and Industry, South Africa
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Asset management
- Business planning and financial management
- Public awareness and promotion of water services
Rehabilitation and repair interventions, training and advice , public health and hygiene promotion campaign, and establishment of a call center and Geographic Information System (GIS)
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Joint planning or work
- On the job training
- Site visits
Describe WOPs activities
• Toolkit development and outreach based on the successful WASH education programme applied by EWS in eThekwini;
• Development of service level standards. EWS would share its departmental standards of service to help BCC ensure a high level of operation
and to inform the public on service delivery expectations;
• Prepare and publish a Customer Service Charter. EWS would share a template based on its charter to support BCC in outlining its own vision and mission;
• Call centre design, and software (Faultman, developed originally for EWS ) provision, training- of-trainers in “Callers’ Needs Assessment”, training manual provision and use of links for remote assistance;
• Assistance in Water Demand Management – non-revenue water (NRW), leak detection, water
balances and the use of pressure reduction valves;
• Support in tariff-setting based on the EWS model, including advice on ring-fencing revenue from water and sanitation sales.
Describe the overall results
-Better access to a function sewerage system and water supply services
-Enhanced water sanitation and hygiene practices
-Improved revenue collection
Which factors had a positive influence on the success of your WOP?
- Accurate identification of capacity needs
- Financing for WOPs