WOP: Vitens and Nakuru Water & Sanitation Services Company Ltd
This Partnerships aims to build capacity in the field of sustainable development and maintenance of water infrastructure in both towns.
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
January 01, 2012 - December 31, 2016
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
- Corporate social responsibility
- New opportunities/challenges for employees
- Solidarity principles
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Other supporting organizations
Other local operators:
- Kisumu Water and Sewerage Company (KIWASCO) (recipient)
- Rift Valley Water Services Board (RVWSB) (recipient)
- Lake Victoria South Water Services Board (LVSWSB) (recipient)
- Waterboard De Stichtse Rijnlanden (HDSR)
- SNV Netherlands Development Organization
- Sustainable Aid in Africa International (SANA)
- ACP-EU Water Facility (73%)
- VEI (16%)
- HDSR (1.4%)
- LVSWSB (3.8%)
- RVWSB (3.8%)
- SNV Netherlands Development Organization (1.5%)
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Asset management
- Non Revenue Water (NRW) management
- Waste water collection and treatment
The project objectives are the following:
1) Increase the access to water supply and sanitation services for the urban poor in Nakuru and Kisumu.
2) Reduction of Non-Revenue Water.
3) Strengthening NAWASSCO/Rift Valley Water Services Board (Nakuru) and KIWASCO/Lake Victoria North Water Services Board (Kisumu) capacity in sustainable development, operation and maintenance (O&M) of water and sanitation infrastructure (25% increase in ‘O&M Cost Coverage’ levels).
4) Scaling-up best practices in Non Revenue Water reduction to 17 ‘peer’ Water Services Providers (WSP) through the Rift Valley and Lake Victoria South Water Services Boards (District metering/Caretaker Approach applied by peer WSP’s in designated zones with WSB and DWO investment funding for consumer/district/consumer meters).
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- Joint planning or work
- On the job training
- Study tours