WOP: Vitens and Nakuru Water & Sanitation Services Company Ltd
The aim of this WOP is to expand the water services both sanitation and drinking water
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
January 01, 2013 - December 31, 2017
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
- Corporate social responsibility
- New opportunities/challenges for employees
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Other supporting organizations
Other supporting organizations:
- SNV Netherlands Development Organization
- Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP)
- Umande Trust
- Nakuru County Government
- ACP-EU Water Facility (58%)
- VEI (20%)
- NAWASSCO (4%)
- WSUP (5%)
- SNV Netherlands (1%)
- Nakuru County (5%)
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Business planning and financial management
- Expanding services to low income households
- Waste water collection and treatment
Please specify other theme(s)
Sanitation in unsewered areas.
The overall objective of the plan is to demonstrate and implement a commercially viable sanitation value chain, benefiting residents of unsewered (peri-) urban low income areas in Nakuru County. More specific objectives are the following:
1) Increase hygiene awareness and sanitation coverage (towards 95%) in Nakuru Town and County.
2) Establish collection facilities and large scale transport services for hygienic and financially sustainable capture and removal of human excreta from the low income areas.
3) Controlled and certified production and sales of human excreta products.
4) Demonstrate financial sustainability of the implemented sanitation value chain.
5) Upscale the outcomes of the project to other towns and cities in Kenya.
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- On the job training
- Site visits