WOP: Vitens and Ghana Water Company Limited
This project aims to contribute to improved health of the Ghanaian people in the service areas of the Ghana Water Company Limited
GENERAL WOP INFORMATION
December 01, 2011 - December 01, 2014
Was the code of conduct followed?
Did the operators sign a formal partnership agreement?
- Corporate social responsibility
- New opportunities/challenges for employees
- Solidarity principles
PARTNERS AND THEIR INPUTS
Other supporting organizations
- International Water Association (IWA)
- Water Resources Commission
- Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing
- Public Utility Regulatory Commission (PURC)
- Environmental Protection Agency
- European Union Water Facility (72%)
- VEI (14%)
- IWA (2%)
- Local GWCL (11%)
Total cost of WOP ($)
THEMES AND OBJECTIVES
- Asset management
- Business planning and financial management
- Public awareness and promotion of water services
- Water quality management
The project objective is to contribute towards improved health of the Ghanaian population in the service areas of Ghana Water Company Ltd. by ensuring high quality, sustainable national water quality testing, monitoring and surveillance. The project aims to do so by:
- The Establishment of a National Institutional Framework.
- Improving capacity and laboratory skills.
- Equipping the central laboratory of Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) (the CWQ-Hub).
- Establishing regional water quality monitoring centers attached to GWCL.
- Raising awareness on the importance of water quality.
- Setting up a Business Case.
What types of activities were carried out to help develop operator capacity?
- Classroom training
- On the job training