To raise awareness of the importance of utilities at this time, GWOPA and UN-Habitat have launched the #UtilitiesFightCOVID initiative. As part of the initiative, professionals from water and sanitation are encouraged to share their experiences and ideas for tackling COVID-19.
Especially in these uncertain times, water utilities are turning to their peers for information, inspiration and support. GWOPA and its partners are committed to promoting and enabling not-for-profit knowledge exchange and partnership. This is why we are convening a series of webinars around COVID-19 pandemic responses and challenges faced by water and sanitation operators. Check out all the upcoming webinars!
Read how water utilities around the globe are responding to COVID-19
In an outstanding effort to protect people from the COVID-19 virus, Morogoro Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Authority (MORUWASA), in partnership with World Waternet, and as part of the WaterWorx project, installs hand wash stations in 8 schools, helping thousands of people get the necessary hygienic conditions to protect their health.
As part of an interview series to gather information and raise awareness of how water utilities are addressing the crisis, GWOPA/UN-Habitat has spoken with Ednick Msweli, Head of the Water and Sanitation Unit at eThekwini Municipality, South Africa, a country with 19% daily increase, according to Msweli.
A report of the measures taken by the 15 operators from 8 countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico and Uruguay) which have responded to the campaign launched by the Secretariat of WOP-LAC aims to enable the sharing of experiences and different approaches to the crisis.
Measures to prevent Coronavirus in cities, informal settlements or slums are being taken. Water utilities around the world are working hard and supporting their peers in an act of global solidarity. This is the case of the WaterWorX project between Waternet and Société Malienne de Gestion de l’eau Potable (SOMAGEP). The first, from The Netherlands; the latter, from Mali.
GWOPA/UN-Habitat collaborates in the report Managing the Unexpected – European Public Water Utilities Facing the Coronavirus Emergency developed by Aqua Publica Europea (APE) that addresses the responses and the lessons learnt from European public water utilities in their fight against COVID-19.
EYDAP provides its employees who are parents with extra leave days as the schools in Greece are currently closed until further notice. Moreover, the utility provides extra leave days to its vulnerable staff members, to support and safeguard them from health and safety risks.
GWOPA Key Messages for COVID-19
UN-Habitat and UNICEF Key Messages to support the WASH sector in responding to the COVID-19 crisis in informal settlements.
GENERAL INFORMATION ON COVID 19
World Health Organization
- Interim recommendations to member states on obligatory hand hygiene against transmission of COVID-19
- Technical Brief (WHO/UNICEF): Water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management for COVID-19
- Guidance: COVID-19 related infection and prevention control guidance
UN-HABITAT: Updates from UN-Habitat on COVID-19
United Nations Children’s Fund
- WASH Programme contribution to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) prevention and response
- WASH and infection prevention and control measures in schools
- WASH and infection prevention and control in households and public spaces
- WASH and infection prevention and control in health-care facilities
- Monitoring and mitigating the secondary impacts of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic on WASH services availability and access
German Federal Ministry of Health: Current information on the coronavirus
Association Africaine de l’Eau (AfWA): Communication and awareness campaign for water utilities on COVID-19
US Environmental Protection Agency: Water Utility Resources for the COVID-19
Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council: Sanitation and hygiene for today and tomorrow
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Water transmission and COVID-19
Water Research Commission: COVID-19 Resources
OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE FOR WATER AND SANITATION UTILITIES
- AWA Australian Water Association: Practical guidance and more resources
- CWWA Water Sector Pandemic Action Plan
- American Water Works Association: COVID-19 response: water sector preparation, vigilance crucial
- Water Environment Federation: The Water Professional’s Guide to COVID-19
- US Environmental Protection Agency: Water Utility Resources for the COVID-19 Pandemic – USA
- Water Research Commission – South Africa: Guidelines for improved disinfection in small water plants
- Asociación Española de Operadores Públicos de Abastecimiento y Saneamiento (AEOPAS): Demandas de los operadores públicos de agua y medidas sociales aplicadas
- The Water Research Foundation (WERF): A Utility Response Plan Outline for Unexpected Emergencies
- United States Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration: COVID-19 Control and Prevention, including interim guidance for solid waste and wastewater management workers and employers
WASH and hygiene promotion
- UNICEF: Understanding hygiene promotion in the context of coronavirus disease
- Global Water Operators’ Partnerships Alliance: What Water and Sanitation Operators Can do in the Fight Against COVID-19
- WRC – South Africa: Guideline for health and hygiene in informal settlements